Sunday, April 06, 2008:

Parable of the Star Thrower
Yes I know! It's the star thrower again! Hahas, but I am constantly reminded of it as, that poster is right on my computer desk. For those of you who heard about this story before, BRAVO! But, I just felt that it was time to share it with other people too. And explain what is the meaning and the moral behind that story. For those of you who didn't get it (I hope you did). It was about making a difference. Making a difference in the lives of the people around you. Yes, people! Not just starfishes! Let me give you an illustration.
This is Based On A TRUE story. There was once, a guy name Mark. Mark was on his way home after school one day. As he was walking, he accidentally bang into a guy called Jack. That collision, caused the books on Jack's arm to fall to the ground. He immediately apologised, and helped pick all the books that was on the ground. Mark was wondering "What's this guy doing carrying so many books?" So he asked where Jack lived. Upon finding out his house was just around the corner, and along the way to his own, Mark offered to lend a helping hand and lighten the load of Jack, by carrying half of his books. As the 2 were walking, Mark started talking. Being a very extrovert guy, he broke the ice. And soon, Jack was opening up and talking too. They soon reached Jack's house. Jack enjoyed Mark's company and invited him to his house to drink some coffee. And soon time just flew they chatted, played computer games and had dinner together. Their friendship just took off in just a few hours! They continued keeping in contact for the next few weeks. After a few months, they were like best friends and brothers. Then One day, Jack went up to Mark.
He said, "Mark, I need to tell you something."
Mark replied, "Yea sure what is it?"
A tear rolled down Jack's eye as he swallowed his saliva.
Mark was shocked and asked, "Jack, are you alright? Did something happen?"
"No." He answered. "Thanks you saved my life."
Mark was confused now, "What are you talking about?"
Jack answered, "You see before I met you, I had no friends. I felt so rejected, and no one seemed to care. I have no family, to support me and I am always alone. That day, when we first met, I packed up my lockers, took all my books and was going to go home to end my life(commit suicide). But that day, as i was walking home, I banged into you. And you were so nice to me. When you talked to me i felt warmth and acceptance for the first time in my life! And I knew, I had just found someone who truly cared. After you left my house that day, I knew, I wasn't alone anymore. That thought of ending my life left immediately! Thanks brother, because of you, I am alive today!"
The End.
See, Mark never knew that just by carrying a load of books, he could save a life! Lesson learnt, We can ALL make a difference. whether BIG or small the sacrifice. Don't think that only by doing the BIG things, and solving the problem, you are making a difference. My belief is this, that it's always the small sacrifices that shows a big heart. So I challenge you today. Make a difference in someone's life. Just simple things, like buying a meal for you friend. It can even be a stranger, in the train, in the bus, give up your seat for them! That's a sacrifice. It'll make someone's day! Don't be afraid to sacrifice, don't be afraid to give! All that is not given is lost. Be a Star Thrower today!
-To the world, you're just one person. To one person, you just might be the world!

Go to message board | Permalink