Thursday, May 05, 2011:


Wait

Probably one of the hardest thing in life is waiting. I have took up several part-time jobs since my secondary school days, ranging from many different fields in the industry. But in my opinion, the hardest and most difficult job I have worked as is being a waiter.

I still remember I was still in secondary school and it was during the holidays. At that time I've never worked before, and when I heard from my dad about a job opening I just jumped on it immediately. Hoping to learn some skills and experience about the working life.

Being a waiter was my first ever job. Well it was a humbling experience. At first I thought, "No problem! How difficult can it get?" I was wrong. It was not easy at all.

The tough thing about being a waiter is:

1) You must stand for hours waiting (and be still)
2) Stay alert and sensitive at all times
3) Endure criticism

Sometimes in life, we too need to wait like a waiter. Serve like a waiter. Endure like a waiter. It is a tough job. Who likes to wait? In our society today, we want things NOW. INSTANT solutions, Instant noodles. We like things fast, that's why we have FAST food. Even if it isn't good for us, we rather take it, than wait. Nobody likes waiting. Many people lose their cool because the wait is too long. They can't take it anymore. They curse. They complain. They murmur.

We can't even wait 40 minutes in a queue without a "Tsk!" and a frown on our face to show our dissatisfaction. The issue is not with the wait, the issue is with our attitude.

The wait is a test to see our reaction. Waiting isn't bad if we stop being negative about the process. Wait with expectancy. Focus on the positive. Maximize your time while waiting. Before you know it, the wait is over and you get your goods, or accomplish your task.

It is worth the wait.

Isaiah 40:28-31

28 Have you not known?
Have you not heard?
The everlasting God, the LORD,
The Creator of the ends of the earth,
Neither faints nor is weary.
His understanding is unsearchable.
29 He gives power to the weak,
And to those who have no might He increases strength.
30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary,
And the young men shall utterly fall,
31 But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.

-Good things comes to those who wait.

Go to message board | Permalink